Friday, December 5, 2008

This year for Christmas

I spoke at our church women's meeting last night and my subject was THE GREATEST GIFT. I thought I would share this gut wrenching poem here:

This Year for Christmas

Shiny gifts have lost their glitter.
I think I understand.
Christ’s birth should be celebrated
By giving him two hands.

I’ll spend more time in the temple.
I’ll spend time reading his word.
I will serve more humbly
And pray that my faith is stirred.

My head is bowed more frequently
My tears are quick to run.
I’ve put my faith in God this year.
I’m giving Christ my son.

The hands I washed, the hands I held
The hands I taught to pray;
Now knock on doors to find the ones
Who will listen to what he’ll say.

I wonder how Lamanite mothers
Gave their sons to war?
Or how pioneers faced hardships
They sacrificed so much more.

My loss will be his presence.
His dimple, his laugh, his fun.
For two years we will pray for him
I’m giving Christ my son.

Because I know Christ needs him.
Until all the gathering’s done.
My gift has taken years to make.
This year…I’m giving Christ my son.

No comments: